Community Housing Worker
Contract • Timmins Region
Hours: Monday-Friday 40 hours/week |1 year contract
Location: 316 Spruce Street South, Timmins ON
Living Space is a non-profit corporation dedicated to ending homelessness by providing services, shelter, project coordination and planning. It operates programs, including a free low-barrier emergency shelter at 316 Spruce Street South, where a range of community partners offer services to help people transition into stable housing. Living Space coordinates planning, volunteer training, and funding applications to support efforts to end homelessness.
Under the general direction of the Senior Management Team, the Community Housing Worker will work collaboratively with community partners and across different program areas of Living Space. The position supports individuals who experience persistent and chronic homelessness with a focus on connecting and supporting clients to achieve housing stability. Case Management will be the primary role to ensure that client needs are being met and that each client is supported to secure and maintain housing of their choice. The position operates in accordance with related legislation, Living Space policies and procedures, vision, and values.
· Paid or unpaid experience working with vulnerable individuals.
· Ability to speak multiple languages; including Cree will be considered an asset.
· A Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or related field. A combination of relevant education with experience in mental health and addictions, social service work and/or relevant work experience will be considered.
· Registration with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers would be an asset.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality effectively with the ability to work within professional and ethical guidelines.
· The ability to engage and work with a broad range of clients with diverse and complex issues.
· Demonstrated critical thinking skills including strong clinical judgement and conflict resolution skills.
· Knowledge and understanding of the complex issues related to addictions, mental illness, poverty, and homelessness, as well as the impact of social/cultural/economic factors on the determinants of health.
· Experience with electronic reporting and case notes is considered an asset.
· Any additional training certificates are considered an asset: CPI, ASIST.
· A satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Criminal Records Check is required.
· Living Space has a Vaccination Policy that requires
employees to take part in COVID-19 vaccination programs recommended by Public Health
and provide an up-to-date TB screening record.
· Experience working in a cross-cultural environment.
· Experience advocating for marginalized and complex clients.
· Demonstrated knowledge of issues related to poverty, homelessness, substance use, and mental illness.
· Demonstrated ability to work independently in community settings with minimal supervision.
· Demonstrated ability to develop a wide range of high-quality written materials. This includes but not limited to case notes, shift logs, incident reports, legal documents, and electronic documentation.
· Proven effective time management skills.
· Demonstrated strong sense of initiative, personal accountability, and dependability.
· Familiarity with community partners and the programs
· Support clients to secure housing of their choice.
· Provide intensive case management to clients within the shelter and those being housed to ensure coordinated access supports.
· Provide regular and continuous contact with the client.
· Work collaboratively with partners of the Housing Now program to support landlords as necessary.
· Work consistently with clients in the shelter to prepare them with housing focused goals based on their strengths, abilities, and preferences.
· Create, monitor, and update individual crisis and safety plans.
· Advocate, refer, and connect individuals with appropriate services, supports, and resources based on their needs and choice.
· Wraparound services for clients to help eliminate real and/or perceived barriers that prevent or inhibit client’s access.
· Ensure that policies and procedures of Living Space are understood and adhered to.
· Timely and appropriate documentation according to
relevant standards must be conducted with all client interactions.
Applications must contain a cover letter and resume, and will be received in confidence by the Operations Manager via email@example.com
This job posting indicates
the general nature and level of work expected. It is not designed to cover or
contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities
required by the incumbent. The incumbent may be asked to perform other duties
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Living Space is committed to equitable recruitment practices and to achieving a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from historically marginalized and/or underserved/underrepresented communities, especially individuals who identify with diverse gender and sexual identities (including LGBTQ2+); women; Indigenous/Black/people of colour; people living with disability, HIV and/or other chronic/long-term health conditions; and people with lived experience of mental illness, substance use, trauma, and poverty.