Medical Laboratory Assistant
Casual / Temporary • Timmins Region
Under the general direction of the Laboratory Supervisor, the laboratory assistant is responsible for but not limited to daily tasks as assigned such as specimen collection, preparing samples for analysis, microbiology setup, documenting, entering and retrieving data and performing general duties. Laboratory assistants can perform duties deemed acceptable as per the MLPAO standards of practice.
- Contribute to the development of departmental philosophy, objectives, policies and procedures.
- Adhere to Hospital and departmental policies and procedures. Appraise them, report their effectiveness and make recommendations to the Laboratory Supervisor.
- Receiving and collecting specimens in the main laboratory as well as other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to perform all tasks as listed in the job description.
- Operation of automated instruments after proper functioning has been established by qualified staff.
- Must be capable of working with minimal supervision.
- Must be highly organized and efficient with excellent communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and learn quickly.
- Participate in available education programs as required.
Must possess high school diploma.
Certified Laboratory Assistant through Medical Laboratory Professionals’ Association of Ontario is required.
Previous and/or related experience in a health care setting would be considered an asset.
Must possess the verbal ability to communicate effectively with patients, physicians and other medical personnel in order to give and receive information and instructions.
Must possess the learning ability to understand laboratory terminology and infection control procedures.
Must possess the physical ability to perform medium work requiring lifting and positioning of equipment and patients and to travel distances in the Department and in the Hospital.
Must be alert; possess a good memory, pleasant personality and evidence of tact and diplomacy.
Must have the capacity to perform routine, repetitive tasks on a continuous basis and to follow standardized procedures.
- Good attendance and positive work record.
- Computer background would be an asset.
- Must possess the ability to provide effective services to clients/patients in both English and French. Individuals who do not meet the language requirements of this posting are invited to submit their résumé for future consideration.
Work in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and regulations
Use or wear any equipment, protective devices or clothing required by the employer.
report to the employer or supervisor any known missing or defective equipment or protective device that may be dangerous to himself, herself or any worker
Not to remove or make ineffective device required by regulations or his or her employer without providing an adequate temporary device and, when the need for using such a device has passed, replacing it immediately with the recommended device.
Not use or operate any equipment, or work in any way that may endanger any worker.
Not engage in any prank, contest, feat of strength, unnecessary running or rough and boisterous conduct.
Report to the employer or supervisor any contravention of the act or the regulations or the existence of any hazard.
Interested applicants must submit their résumé to Department of Human Resources, Timmins and District Hospital, 700 Ross Avenue East, Timmins, Ontario, P4N 8P2. Telephone (705) 267-6371; Fax (705) 360-6008; Attention: Kim Seguin, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Si vous souhaitez recevoir cette offre d’emploi en français, s’il vous plait contactez le département des ressources humaines au poste 705-267-6371
Timmins and District Hospital will provide accommodations for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their response; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.