Full-Time • Timmins Region
Salary Range: $40,000 - $60,000
Positions: Outreach Worker
Living Space is a non-profit corporation dedicated to ending homelessness by providing services, shelter, project coordination and planning. It operates programs, including a free no-barrier emergency shelter at 27 Cedar Street North, where a range of community partners offers services to help people transition into stable housing. Living Space coordinates planning, volunteer training and funding applications to support efforts to end homelessness
Outreach Workers work together to provide person-centered services in a flexible, non-judgmental
compassionate, and responsible manner. This position supports the day-to-day operations of Living
Space programs as well as individuals experiencing homelessness, who are at risk of homelessness, and
those living in poverty. The position works collaboratively with Living Space volunteers and community
partners across the different programs of Living Space.
- Facilitate the day-to-day operations of Living Space programs:
- Work toward eliminating real or perceived barriers that prevent or inhibit individual’s access to Living Space programs;
- Use effective conflict resolution skills to resolve issues as they arise;
- Assist in meal preparation and housekeeping;
- Provide administrative support to Living Space programs, including maintenance of client files;
- Provide support to individuals accessing Living Space programs:
- Be familiar with other community resources and refer individuals to the appropriate community resources that may benefit them;
- Manage challenging situations and difficult behavior;
- Assess safety and suicide risks and connect individuals with supports as appropriate;
- Provide effective crisis management and intervention when required;
- Ensure the safety of individuals at Living Space by:
- Monitoring program space and Living Space property by completing routine patrols and safety checks of the interior & exterior of Living Space;
- Being familiar with emergency & fire procedures set out by Living Space policies and procedures;
- Providing effective prevention, intervention, and crisis management when required;
- Recording all incident reports as per Living Space policies and procedures;
- Notifying supervisor(s) of any health and safety concerns;
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Paid or unpaid experience working with vulnerable individuals;
- Patience, creativity, flexibility, compassion, and sensitivity to persons with dis/abilities and undeserved populations.
- Knowledge of mental health and substance use;
- Effective crisis intervention skills;
- Willingness to work a variety of shifts; including night shifts throughout the week and on weekends; and on-call shifts as required.
- Post-secondary education in a relevant field which may include, Personal Support Community Development, Social Justice, or Social Work;
- Ability to speak multiple languages; including Cree will be considered an asset
Compensation will be based on the qualifications, experience and leadership as demonstrated by the successful candidate within a total annual compensation range of $17-20/hour.
Applications must contain a cover letter and resume, and will be received in confidence by Jason Sereda via firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 8:30 AM on July 22, 2019
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Living Space is committed to equitable recruitment practices and to achieving a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from historically marginalized and/or undeserved/underrepresented communities, especially individuals who identify with diverse gender and sexual identities (including LGBTQ2+); women; Indigenous/Black/people of color; people living with dis/ability, HIV and/or other chronic/long-term health conditions; and people with lived experience of mental illness, substance use, trauma, and poverty.
This job posting indicates the general nature and level of work expected. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required by the incumbent. The incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.