Training Specialist, Mine
Full-Time • Timmins Region
- Conduct training and accreditation that reflects a high level of competence. Develop the skills of trainees through training and accredit employees upon successful completion of the training.
- Act as a resource for all of the workplace parties and an advocate of the Internal Responsibility System (IRS)
Safety and Sustainability Expectations
- Ensure that training reflects current safe operating procedures, consistent with Porcupine Gold Mines Safety initiatives.
- Provide or coordinate safety training throughout Porcupine Gold Mines.
- Identify training deficiencies and make recommendations to enhance the training program
- Ensure compliance in providing training and completing competency reports
- Communicate the inherent programs
- Participate in the activities associated with the Porcupine Gold Mines Safety program and strive to improve the quality of the program.
- Assist in drafting and reviewing job procedures.
- Participate in the development and communication of new mine procedures.
- Advise workers, supervisors and management personnel on training matters.
- Participate (as a member of and/or resource) in the JH&SC.
- Advise supervisors, workers and trainers on the safety and health content of training courses.
- Liaise with other operations, government agencies, and similar resources to obtain up-to-date information on training issues for the operation and the JH&SC.
- Attend crew safety meetings on a selective basis either as an observer or presenter
- Ensure compliance and competency with internal, regulatory, and industry training requirements.
- Educate all new and current employees about the IRS, and to actively promote it.
- Assist the In-House-Trainers in their duties, and audit to ensure high quality and compliant training.
- Ensure that all trainers have received training on the material that they are presenting, received a Train-The-Trainer course and familiar with the Act and Regulations pertinent to the job in which they are instructing.
- Ensure that Common Core training programs are structured to ensure that employees and contractors have received training or are being trained on the equipment that they are expected to operate.
- Ensure that the Porcupine Gold Mines induction training programs are administered to new employees, and contractors and visitors. (This is a shared role).
- Maintain accurate training records of trainees and ensure compliance with record keeping.
- Participate in accident investigation where it may relate to training, when required.
- Identify new training needs for mine employees by staying current with the changes in regulations, equipment and procedures
- Assist with the development of new training programs and the revisions to existing programs.
- Assist in testing new mobile equipment to ensure that all underground and surface equipment meets our specifications prior to being used on site.
- Assist all departments in developing and implementing emergency procedures.
- Ensure training records are recorded in proper locations i.e. LMS, government systems
- Ensure regulatory training records are recorded with the governing bodies.
- Maintain current up-to-date records of employees actively receiving training.
Training & Experience
• Minimum grade 12, technical diploma preferred
• Basic Common Core Accreditation
• Train-The-Trainer certified
• Specialty accreditation in areas of expertise
• Minimum of 5 years surface/underground mining experience
• Conventional & mechanized mining experience with respect to production & development mining
• Familiarity with the various Common Core programs
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience in leadership roles.
• Strong leadership, organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Good understanding and working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Common Core programs.
• Ability to plan and schedule training and other activities.
• Work well in a team atmosphere.
• Reputation as a competent miner & held in high esteem by the workforce.
This position is a site-based position in Timmins, ON. As such, if you do not currently live in the area, relocation is required.
The schedule is 4 days on, 3 days off