Posted 1 week ago
Residential Support Worker - Casual/Relief
Casual / Temporary • Timmins Region
RESIDENTIAL SUPPORT WORKER
Timmins and Area Women in Crisis (TAWC) is a dynamic, community-based feminist organization providing services related to intimate partner abuse and sexual violence to women and their children in the Timmins area. TAWC works within an integrated feminist, anti-racist, anti-oppression framework. The agency administers a sexual assault centre, an emergency shelter as well as second stage housing to abused women and their children.
TAWC is currently looking for an innovative woman to join our team in the capacity of Residential Support Worker at H.E.R. Place Women’s Shelter.
· Work to create and maintain safe, confidential, non-judgemental living/working conditions within the shelter
· Provide client-centered support/education/crisis intervention for shelter residents and crisis line callers
· Manage challenging situations and difficult behaviour
· Provide advocacy/accompaniment, safety planning for shelter clients
· Provide problem solving, conflict resolution, crisis intervention, advocacy and mediation within the shelter
· Link women and their dependents to appropriate community referrals
· Assists in meal preparation and housekeeping;
· Provide administrative support to TAWC programs and services, including maintenance of client files.
· Attend and participate in fundraising and awareness raising ventures
· Additional tasks as it relates to the organization
· Post-secondary degree/diploma in a relevant field
· Proven dedication to violence against women work/ women’s issues
· Solid understanding of feminist ideology and anti-racism/anti-oppression principles
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Understanding of the social service sector and providing non-profit service to the community
· Demonstrated sound judgment, problem solving, conflict resolution, crisis intervention, advocacy, and mediation skills
· Strong knowledge of Indigenous cultures
· Ability to communicate in Cree and/or Ojibway and/or Oji-cree dialect is a definite asset
· Must undergo a criminal record check
· Must be able to do lifting/carrying, snow shoveling, light housework
· Must be able to work a variety of shifts including overnights
TAWC has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that requires individuals to take part in COVID-19 vaccination programs recommended by Public Health, unless they are approved for a medical or human rights accommodation from TAWC. Compliance with this policy is mandatory for this position.
Hours of Work: Shift Work (includes days, evenings, nights and weekends)
Application deadline: Open until filled
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single PDF file to the attention of:
Kim Nadeau-Human Resources Manager
Applicants responding must indicate the position for which they are applying.
Timmins and Area Women in Crisis (TAWC) is committed to fostering a culture of inclusion as well as equity and diversity in its hiring practices. TAWC invites and strongly encourages applications from all qualified women, including women from historically marginalized and/or underserved/underrepresented communities, who may contribute to further diversification of our workforce. This also includes, but is not limited to: women who identify as Indigenous/Black/woman of colour, women living with a disAbility, lesbians, bisexual women and transwomen as well as women with lived experience of mental illness, substance use, trauma, and poverty.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.